Senior Health Insurance Assistance Project:
Volunteers trained in issues relating to Medicare. FREE counseling is available to anyone needing information and/or assistance with their Medicare Health Insurance . There are two additional component of SHIP.
- Money Saving Medicare Project (MSMP) Through this project eligible seniors and people with disabilities can obtain assistance in applying for the Medicare extra help programs that help pay Medicare premiums.
- Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP) that helps people with Medicare health care coverage identifies and reports Medicare fraud and abuse.
What Does the SHIP Program Do?
- The Senior Health Insurance Assistance Program is a source of advice on the increasingly complex Medicare issue.
- Information to Medicare beneficiaries and their families and/or caregivers
- Individual counseling and assistance
- Public education presentations about Medicare and related health insurance and Medicare fraud
- Printed materials about Medicare and health insurance issues
Who Are SHIP Counselors?
- The SHIP counselors are trained volunteers. The counselor's job is usually 5% listening and 95% research.
Examples of How SHIP Counselors Can Help You:
- Understand your Medicare benefits
- Help you organize and understanding your medical bills
- Help you identify gaps in Medicare coverage and the options to fill them
- Understand Medicare Supplemental Insurance (Medigap)
- Understand how to evaluate Medicare Supplemental Insurance options
- Medicaid assistance for people on Medicare
- Help evaluate who is eligible for "Extra Help" (Low Income assistance)
- Understand Long-term care insurance options
- Help beneficiaries understand hospital and Medicare rights
- Assist in filing Medicare appeals
- Providing reference information and referral sources
Where Can SHIP Counselors Be Found?